Friday, January 9, 2009

job and life update

Some, if not all, know that we have been without a paycheck since october the 30th. Doug has had a few days work, in December, in Manchester, that helped some. Of course no paycheck means no benefits. We have been humbled by the experience. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Many different jobs were discussed, offered, accepted, then the budgets changed and they no longer had the need for his services. It was very frustrating for us all. You have to remember, this is a workaholic I am taking about.
This current job was offered several weeks ago, but who knew how it would turn out. Well he officially is on the payroll on Monday the 12th. The company is called Vitalize. They have already sent him his company computer and a welcome basket of snacks and movie rental coupon. Plus they have a seminar scheduled in April, on the beach of course, for new hires. I'm liking these people already. We will have health benefits starting in February.
We have both done without many of our normal meds. We have been able, through friends and others, to get samples of some of the most important. It will be nice to be able to afford drugs and not worry about if one of us gets ill.
I have looked for many jobs myself. I haven't worked since my surgery in May 2007. My neck still hurts so I wasn't sure I wanted to try. But no money is no money. I had strongly considered travel nursing just for an income. Matthew thought Alaska sounded great. I talked with temp agencies, and local hospitals. The economy has made so many cut back on normal stuff. This week I was given a salary quote from Vanderbilt Hospital. I'll be working in labor and delivery as a staff nurse, with available hours in post-partum and high risk as well. Maybe mostly nights, but again, its income.
We have made it God's help I know. We haven't really had fights. I initially panicked and was really upset, wanted to move Christmas to March! Thank-you all for your prayers. My family, friends, and our church have helped tremendously in getting us through it. Our first real pay day will be January the 30th.

Pay checks are good things, and insurance is too!

No comments: